Thursday, October 15, 2009

SIO2

Well, had a meeting today for my iPhone internship and we are currently undergoing a test checkout of SIO2, an iPhone game engine. It actually looks pretty sweet so far, it's very close to how I would currently design a game engine which is good: it utilizes Bullet, an open source physics system, it also of course utilizes the OpenAL/OpenGL ES already on the phone. At first I was rather wary about throwing out all the Quake 3 engine work we've done because I think we really are close to the ball starting to roll downhill rather than up, but oh well, what can you do. There are definitely big pros and big cons to both choices. We'll see how this thing does.

I can't say I'm not excited though. I'm getting my little schoolgirl squeal excitement about playing with this thing as I go through the videos - I've been itching to start up with Ogre again recently (was actually gonna post a thing about it actually) and on the forums I read that the current version utilizes an Ogre scene graph-inspired layout! It's almost like a nice refreshing dream come true. Built specifically FOR the iPhone, open source (I think? sort of? At least there are user patches on the forums for some thing (faster PNG loading in particular)), fairly sexy, etc... But it's not Quake 3. :~(

I really would like to develop on Quake 3, and I really would like to explore SIO2. I'm not sure about estimation for time frame with SIO2 though, but I guess when all is said my answer I don't care either way. Hell, I'd like to do them both if we had time and energy to spare lol


spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment